I fully intended to bake something to bring into work tomorrow morning. I even told more than one person that I would. But then Shannon Rose didn’t have Pumpkinhead. And though Octoberfest is well and good, I didn’t get my pumpkin fix and decided I needed to make myself something pumpkin instead. I also didn’t really feel like doing a lot of grocery shopping, so granola was the clear winner. I’ve made granola before, but this one might be even better. It clumped really nicely (important in a granola), was slightly salty (also important), and was my first pumpkin adventure of the fall (extremely important!).
And, it’s quick and easy! First, mix the oats and spices in a large bowl.
Then, in a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, pumpkin, applesauce, maple syrup, and vanilla extract until smooth.
Pour the liquid ingredients into the oats and stir to coat.
Spread the oats evenly over a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
Bake for 20 minutes at 325°F and remove from oven to stir.
Return to oven for an additional 15-20 minutes or until golden and crisp. I think it’s because of the lower baking temperature, but this granola seemed much more resistant to the threat of burning than other recipes I have tried.
Stir in the craisins and pepitas and allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container. See? Easy!
- 5 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup craisins
- 1/2 cup pepitas
- Stir together oats, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together brown sugar, pumpkin puree, applesauce, maple syrup, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the oats and stir to coat.
- Spread evenly over a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 325°F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir oats. Return to oven and bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Remove from oven and stir in craisins and pepitas. Allow to cool completely on baking sheet.